Monday, July 27, 2009

"Don't try. Just do!"

I was talking with Pops last night on the phone. It had been 2 weeks since we'd last spoken. Too long. I try to talk with him once a week--usually on Sunday nights. I know he comes out of the valley to go to church on Sundays. That means he has cell phone reception again!

He called me--an unusual thing. Usually I call him. I had mentioned this to a friend of mine who grew up in the islands. I told her, "Well, if he really wants to talk with me, he can call, too! Why do I always have to be the one to make the move?" She explained that in Hawai'i, it wouldn't be unusual for a kupuna to wait for my call. I needed to show the respect and make the first move. In the years that I've known Pops, I can count on one hand the number of times that he's called me. And every time is special.

We were catching up on all of the latest news. Everything that's been happening in our worlds. Family news. Local news. I told him that I really wanted to come and visit--the same thing I tell him every time we talk. He usually answers, "Well, son, I know that we'll be together again someday." I mentioned that I wanted to come in August. He sounded excited. I threw out a few dates. He grew more excited. I told him I would go on the computer and try to book a flight. His response? "Don't try. Just do!"

And that is a valuable lesson to be applied to all areas of my life. Don't try. Just do!

(And I went to my computer and made it happen. Mahalo, Pops! I'll be seeing you SOON!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment